Thursday 19 July 2012

Audience research-Focus group

After carrying out a general questionnaire to determine my target audience and their interests, I am going to hold a focus group specifically asking people aged between 14 and 19 on their opinions on an existing trailer similar to the product I want to produce. I managed to get 4 people in carry out my focus group (2 males, 2 females), the females did not want to be filmed so they have given me written feedback instead.

Film trailer shown: - The Ring

Questions asked:

1.     What impression do you get from this film trailer?


2.     Did the trailer interest you enough to watch the whole film?


3.     Which thriller film conventions did you notice from watching the trailer?


4.      Which conventions did you think was the most effective?



5.     Which conventions, if any did you dislike and why?




Summary of feedback from focus group video: (Blue representing males, Red representing females)

1.     Scary, traditional form of horror film, very quick and simple camera work and editing


2.     It didn’t really interest me because I tend to not enjoy horror films but if I did enjoy a good horror film then the trailer would entice me to watch it because it seemed pretty good

3.     Conventionally it was actually almost a typical horror film. Obviously its scary bits in the film that even makes the character scream. It was dark very low key lighting almost pitch black but not pitch black however it was very conventional and many horror films follow the same routine.

4.     Keeping the same style to show it is a horror film to entice people who enjoy horror films to thinking this will be a good horror film.

5. What i disliked with the conventions were that it has been done before, to typical and too conventional, too predicable.


1.     Showed the overall theme of the film without giving out the story away and kept the mystery

2.     I think it did interest me because it kept the element of mystery and persistent symbolism

3.     it kept you on your toes, suspense, tension and it kept a theme of foreboding throughout the whole thing like something is going to go bad. And I want to know how they fix it or not fix it 

4.     Light level and tension was probably the most effective, especially the use of the persistent symbolism

1. That the film is going to be scary, give a sense of impending doom

2. Yes, because I am curious what is going to happen

3. Low-key lighting
   Spooky character (dark hair)
   Music built up tension
   Canted angle

4. Low-key lighting
   Dramatic music
   Costume

5. Very similar to other films of the same genre but it also makes it clear to the audience that it is of that genre.

1. You can immediately tell that it is going to be scary / paranormal

2. Yes as I am curious about what will happen

3. Close up of the eyes
   Static television effect
   Low-key lighting
  Dramatic background music to build up tension

4. Close up of the eyes, tend to very conventional with thriller / horror films
Low-key lighting
Dramatic music to build up the tension

5. There is nothing I particularly dislike but it is very similar to thriller/ horror films that have been done before. It is not necessarily a bad thing as it makes it clear that the audience what genre the film is. 

From my focus group, I have found that the majority of the people within my target audience finds low-key lighting, dramatic non-diegetic background music, element of mystery and suspense with the persistent symbolism are effective conventions and that it is very important for make the genre of the film clear the audience through the trailer. As the trailer I showed within the focus group is similar to the style and genre I want to achieve with my own film trailer, all the feedback i received will be useful for when I start doing planning as I can include all the conventions the people who took part in my focus group thought was the most effective to make the end product as professional looking as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment